Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Mud Incident

I finally got a picture so I could document this great story.
It was about a month ago and we were up in Idaho for a short visit. It was the middle of April so it was still a little chilly and wet outside.
The kids were all happy to be outside playing at my mom and dad's house. Nick was at his sister's house working on fixing their computer. My sisters (Diana and Kara) were both at my parent's house too. We were checking on the kids about every 10 minutes or so.
Well, on one of my checks of the kids, this is what I found...



It looks innocent enough, I know. In fact, I was checking on them and almost went back to what I was doing thinking they were okay. Luckily I stayed and watched for a minute. A funny thing happened.... nothing. They didn't move one bit. I watched a little longer.... nothing. My curiosity was peaked now. Then, the tears came and the loud cries for help quickly followed. Then, I realized - they were absolutely stuck in the mud.
Like a good mom, I ran out to help them only to stop at the edge of the mud not wanting to get dirty or stuck. So, I was about 20 feet away and they were in tears and couldn't move one bit! I wasn't quite sure what to do - although thoughts of getting someone else to go after them did go through my mind.
Finally, I decided that the only way they were coming out of the mud was if I went in after them and got them out. So, I handed off the baby and took off my shoes and socks, rolled up my pantlegs, and in I went. They were so stuck that it took quite a lot to get them out.



Finally, after much pulling, out they popped - without their shoes. The shoes had to be fished out afterward. The mud was quick to get cold - very cold. My toes were freezing. There was no way that I was using the hose outside to wash off. So, it was into my mom's poor bathtub for all three of us.
It took a while, but we got clean, the girls got a good bath, my feet were soft and smooth (what a great mud bath).
The takeaway - now everytime we go anywhere with dirt of any kind, one of the girls will say to me - "We don't go in the mud, Mom." So, at least we learned something!!
And, just so we are clear... we love dirt and digging and mud and usually don't mind the outside messes. However, it was so cold (notice the snow in the background), and Nick was gone (not a good combination).

3 comments:

J said...

Oh, you are a good mama. I am pretty sure that was no fun for you. Maybe on a warm day that mud could have been a blast.

Kristen Campbell said...

Your twins just keep everything exciting, don't they?!! Love the story, and I'm sure it's even more funny now that it's done. :-) (Love the pictures of Maggie. She is such a doll!)

Erika said...

Oh that is hysterical...sorry! The pictures are even better!