Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Running?


I am going to do it.
I am training for my 10K.
I just finished another 5K (The Susan Komen Race for the Cure in SLC). It was a fun race to be a part of with so many other people. Now, I am going to take the plunge - although for most people it wouldn't be considered a plunge - in the world of 10Kers. I know I will be able to finish it. I have been regularly running 3-4 miles. However, it seems like any time you decide to do something you have never done before, the doubts come.
I am one that has to do things completely. I don't like doing things 1/2 way. So, if I am going to run the 10K, there is no walking, I will run from start to finish. I guess that is part of the reason why I am not going to run a marathon - EVER!! My ultimate goal is to one day run a 1/2 marathon. My sweet husband (I'm sure to be encouraging) told me he was sure I could enter and finish the AF Canyon 1/2 marathon - NEXT MONTH!! Needless to say, that one is off the docket! However, I will run this 10K next month, another 5K in a couple of weeks, a 10K in September, and then we will look at getting ready for the 1/2 marathon next year.
If anyone has done it before and has any good advice, I would love it!! I guess at least after all is said and done I will know if running really is for me or not. I know I am not fast, but I am a finisher. So, here goes.....

11 comments:

Team Serra said...

I know you aren't planning on doing a half marathon this year...but honestly if you can get yourself to do even ONE ten-mile run you can finish a half marathon. Ten's not that much more than 6.2 from a 10k. :) Pocatello has their half marathon in September so you could totally get yourself ready in 4 months' time! And worse comes to worse, you walk some of it...it will still give ya the itch to train for another one next summer :)

maynardmoments said...

You can totally do this! I am excited for you. I just started a new thing with my blog that is full of running tips, tricks, and advice. (from me as well as others that comment) The posts are titled the "roadrunner files." Feel free to check it out. I'll be cheering for you!

Steve said...

Well I can't remember exactly what I wrote last time...but I don't really have specific advice for the 10k. I was writing to tell you that if you can get yourself to run 6.2 miles non-stop, you can EASILY train your way up to running 10 miles non-stop...where am I going with this? There is a half marathon in Pocatello that's always Labor Day weekend. 4 months would be plenty of time for you to get up to a 10 mile run before the race...and I promise that if you can run 10...you can do 13. So I'm on Nick's side with this one...go for the half...4 months' time is totally do-able. :)

Steve said...

This is Megan by the way..I must be signed into Steve's account :)

Maja said...

Yeah Lisa! I am so proud of you. I do agree with Megan on the abilities to do it. If you can run 10 you can run 13.1 If however Poky is not in the cards, I have loved running the Ogden half. It is a great course.

maynardmoments said...

The blogger maintenance thing got to my blog too. boo!

I think it is so awesome that you are planning for a 10K, and that you did the 5K! If you ran a 5K, you can do a 10K for sure. Just add a tiny bit more on to your regular runs and at least once a week, do a mile extra than normal. A mile extra sounds intimidating, but it is suprising what your body will let you do. My ward did the Race for the Cure, and it sounded so cool. I couldn't do it that day, bummer.
I started up a thing on my blog called the Roadrunner Files. I will be adding different running topics to it often, like training schedules for different races, good running foods that provide energy, and tips and tricks about running. Check it out sometime, expecially now, because I would love to hear your story, and people are currently posting their stories on it.

Ramona Zabriskie said...

Lisa, oh my goodness! The thought of running again makes me euphoric! I just had knee surgery yesterday and look so forward to resuming exercise - especially running! ENJOY your body!!! (My gospel musing today is related to the surgery and the idea of helpers and cheerleaders. May I link to your post??? http://monasgospelmusings.blogspot.com/).

J said...

Good for you. You can do it!!!

The Eight Family said...

Thanks for the encouragement. Megan - I think I need you and Becky here to train me!!!
Becky - thanks. i will have to diligently check your blog!
Mona - of course you can! Thanks for asking.
Maja - I think Steve and Diana did the Ogden one too and really liked it. Someday....
I'll keep you posted on what I am doing!

The Eight Family said...

Maja - do you know if you have to maintain a certain pace at the Pocatello half?

Jamie and Kristen said...

Follow Hal Higdons schedule to train for the half. Here's a link http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm I used this when I trained for Pocatello's half a few years ago, and I felt very ready for it! I obviously rotated the schedule so I ran on M,T,W and had the rest days on Th,Sun. Good luck with it!!!